Saturday, January 10, 2009

Local or Big? The Guide Discussion

As I previously wrote, I am thinking about going to climb some volcanoes in Ecuador while in the midst of my job hunt. The first thought is to make Cotopaxi the big climb, but who knows. Depends on who goes, partners, timing, etc.

So here is the question: Do people use local guides or american guide services? Should I go with Alpine Ascents, who is first class, and pay for it, or go with a guide local to Ecuador who was referred to me by a friend of a friend that has climbed Cotopaxi twice? They both have plusses and minuses. Alpine Ascents is top notch, but you pay for it. Also, do I need to pay them for a tour of Quito and all the other non climbing stuff? And the local guide is much cheaper, but he is local. Could he provide much of the same service as AA?

No comments:

Climbing Mt. Baker

Slideshow of Mt Washington Climb

Recording about the Mt. Washington and New Hampshire Trip - 2/11/07

6 Minutes of Video of the Mt Washington Climb 2-11-07

This is long but will give you a feeling for the climb on Sunday.